Iowan Pokémon League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moveset Questions

+2
Damascus
WolfieShay
6 posters

Go down

Moveset Questions Empty Moveset Questions

Post by WolfieShay Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:34 am

I'm working on the movesets for the team I want to build, but I was wondering: how do you guys decide what the moveset should be? Do you choose moves that work with the Pokemon's strengths? Or moves that will cover it's weaknesses?

I've never really worked on a moveset before, so I'm curious how you guys go about it. I'm trying to figure out if what I'm working on is going to be any good. X/ The team I want to work on will be my first major investment team. Most of the time, I just played through and that was that. XD
WolfieShay
WolfieShay
Junior Trainer

Back to top Go down

Moveset Questions Empty Re: Moveset Questions

Post by Damascus Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 pm

By rule, I always try to use a Pokemon's strength. Covering your weaknesses is always a huge gamble, as you're prolonging the battle by going defensive and giving them more chances to hit you in your weak spot anyway. As they say, the best defense is a good offense; play to your strengths and win with your best stats and moves before they figure out how to take advantage of you.

My movesets are usually very different depending on if I'm training an offensive or defensive Pokemon. With defensive ones, I try to focus on status moves OR ones that work well together in a certain way. For example, my Ferrothorn has the following moveset for defense:
~Curse
~Leech Seed
~Gyro Ball
~Power Whip
Curse lowers its speed and raises its attack and defense. While boosting its already monstrous defense, Gyro Ball gets a double benefit. It does more damage as its user gets slower, so it gets a boost from that AND the direct boost to attack.

Movesets that synch up that well are pretty rare, and takes a lot of thought as you study the movesets and keep in mind what each of its moves do.

Attack Pokemon usually just get moves with a lot of type coverage. Fighting and Ground are usually musts because they are super-effective against five other types each. And, matching your move types to your Pokemon's type are a given.

Lastly, I always try to pair my moves with a good ability and item. My Absol has the Super Luck ability and holds a Razor Claw while knowing:
~Psycho Cut
~Stone Edge
It's ability and item both raise the possibility of a critical hit, and each of those moves do as well. All tallied up, when using those moves it raises the chance of a crit to almost 1 in every 3 hits.
Damascus
Damascus
ELITE FOUR

Back to top Go down

Post by El Dictator Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Also, Don't forget when you breed your pokemon, and choose it's nature to give it moves that work with whatever nature you give it (or EVs you train it in). To learn about moves quickly I've always used bulbepedia. It's got really good information. Anyway, Example. My gen iv Gallade has a Jolly Nature. The Jolly nature increases Speed and decreases Special Attack. Which is fine, because my Gallade has a really high physical attack stat, and so to play to his strengths, I gave him a jolly nature so he can hit hard and fast! After that, and some ev training in attack and speed, I gave him these:

Close Combat: This move is a physical move (physical moves play to the attack stat), so it will work with his high attack stat and deals a lot of damage! Since Gallade is a psychic/fighting pokemon, I get a S.T.A.B. (Same Type Attack Bonus) as well because Close Combat is a fighting type move. S.T.A.B. raises your attack power by 50% ! Very Happy

Swords Dance: This is actually just a status move, but when you use it, the pokemon's speed will be increased, which makes my gallade just ridiculous, and works with it's Jolly nature!

Leaf Blade: Also a good physical attack. works with it's high attack stat

Psycho Cut: Another good physical move that works with it's high attack stat, and, being a psychic move, also works with my type, giving me a S.T.A.B.

As you can see there's a lot to consider, from breeding your pokemon with the right nature and good base stats, to EV training, to move selection. It's a bit of a process, and breeding can take a long time but once you finish a couple, it becomes much easier! It's just a matter of practice! Very Happy

Here is a link to the bulbapedia nature page. If you want to look up a pokemon's move set, simply type what pokemon you'd like to look at in the search bar and scroll down. All the info you need is there! Good luck!

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natures
El Dictator
El Dictator
GYM LEADER

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfieShay Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Ok. I've been using Serebii as a guide, but I'll have to remember that Bulbapedia has one too.

So, for example, my Jolteon would work best if it had a nature that raised some one of it's stronger aspects, like speed or special attack, versus something that raised another stat and lowered one of it's stronger ones? Like, if it had a Brave nature, even with it lowering speed, it would still be a high stat.

The moveset I want for my Jolteon is Thunder, Agility, Magnet Rise, Tickle (possibly), and Discharge (again, possibly). I'm trying to figure out what would work best for him. Thunder and Agility I want for sure, since agility would just make him faster, and Magnet Rise, since it's weak to ground moves, but I'm not sure which one I want for his final move. And since Thunder and Discharge are both special attacks, which Jolteon is strong in, I think those would work well for it. And I think I just answered my own question. XD

So, with the moveset Thunder, Agility, Magnet Rise and Discharge, would I want a nature that boosted stats that are already high, or boosted ones that are already low?

I guess this is more of a nature question by this point. XD I really shouldn't post when I'm practically asleep.
WolfieShay
WolfieShay
Junior Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post by El Dictator Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 pm

lol that's fine. It's typically good to just beef up the highest stats. It SEEMS like a good idea to make your pokemon more rounded by boosting the lower ones, but it isn't XD. The only thing I tend to take exception on with that is HP. you can have a really heavy hitting pokemon but if the HP is too low it's gonna get one hitted or killed in like two turns. Most of the time raising a weak defense isn't worth it, so it's better to make sure it has more life. Other than that, play to it's strengths Very Happy
El Dictator
El Dictator
GYM LEADER

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfieShay Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:32 am

So if I wanted to go either high Special Attack or high Speed, having a nature that raised one of those would be best, even if it lowered an already low stat?
WolfieShay
WolfieShay
Junior Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post by El Dictator Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 am

YUP! I would definitely go with a Mild nature from what I can see, that will raise it's Sp. Atk. and lower it's Defense. I'd also choose to EV train it in HP. Especially with this pokemon, the low stats are so low, that if they go any lower it's not that big of a deal XD;
El Dictator
El Dictator
GYM LEADER

Back to top Go down

Post by Damascus Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:21 am

Actually, the nature you'll want is Modest (heightens SpA, lowers Atk). When deciding natures, always choose to lower the attack form you know you'll never use. The only time you'll have to choose something different is when using a Pokemon with both Special and Physical attacks.

Secondly, I would personally disagree on raising HP. Raising a bad HP to "meh" won't save you from a monster with everything put into their Attack. Jolteon's more of a "sweeper," rolling out attacks fast and hard, crippling them before they fight back. ("Tanks" are an exception, but that's another matter entirely!) Of course, every Trainer's different, so you don't have to listen to me!

Lastly, as far as moveset goes, I would avoid putting Thunder and Discharge on the same set, because they're both Special and Electric. When it comes down to it, you will really only need to rely on one, and a move of a different type like Shadow Ball will come through for you, especially if those Electric moves are thwarted by those pesky Ground types.
Damascus
Damascus
ELITE FOUR

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfieShay Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:25 pm

Ok. Thanks for all the advice guys! I was looking over Jolteon's learnset again, and was thinking about changing Discharge for something else anyway. I was going to EV train in Speed and Special attack anyway. Smile

Yay, all this information is going to make it so much easier to get my team going. I won't be losing my mind trying to figure out if I've done it right. Smile Thanks guys!!
WolfieShay
WolfieShay
Junior Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post by El Dictator Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:20 am

No prob! Definitely listen to devin on the nature thing and the move thing, i still stand by my HP strategy though Razz
El Dictator
El Dictator
GYM LEADER

Back to top Go down

Moveset Questions Empty See Trogdor

Post by Seoulkat Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 am

See Trogdor for anything Eevee-related. He already has a Jolteon ev-trained and everything. He could tell you what he did for his.
Seoulkat
Seoulkat
ELITE FOUR

Back to top Go down

Post by Trogdor Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 pm

The moves on jolteon are all right but the way you have it now your jolteon is gonna be screwed when a ground type pokemon is out. i would change discharge to shadow ball so you can still fight back when your electric moves are not effective
Trogdor
Trogdor
GYM LEADER

Back to top Go down

Post by WolfieShay Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Oh, ok! Thanks for the advice! I didn't think about that. XD I think I'm starting to get the hang of movesets and EV training. Smile Thanks a bunch guys!! cheers
WolfieShay
WolfieShay
Junior Trainer

Back to top Go down

Moveset Questions Empty Combos

Post by Foust Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:07 pm

There are also move combos. Ferrothorn with gyro ball and curse are a good example. Another is baton pass. My mawile knows double team, iron defense, swords dance and baton pass. I use double team till i can't, then iron defense then double team, then i switch out to a tougher or weaker guy and that pokemon keeps all the stat boosts. This is just one type of combo. Flash and double team go well togethor as well. A good grass combo is sleep powder then leech seed. Another good one is rest and snore/sleep talk. Also, if you have a steel or poison type, you can give it a toxic orb and teach it fling, steel and poison are immune to the poison ailment! It could also help if you have the move that deals extra damage when you're opponent holds an item, I can't remember the move's name, thou. Self-destruct and retaliate make a good rush combo. There are probabley a lot more than this, but you'll have to figure them out by yourself

Foust
Junior Trainer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum